Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Top 5 Fantasy Sleepers: Week 1 Running Backs

These are Running Backs that are currently projected outside the top 25 in their position for Week 1 of the season that I believe can safely surmount their projections.

1.LeGarrette Blount vs. Det

Projected: 14, RT Projection: 18

All but one game in which Blount received 15 carries or more last year that he did not trump 16 points. And last season against the Lions? 15 carries, 110 yards and 1 TD giving him 17 fantasy points. With the Bucs going into the season very comfortable with the second year man out of Oregon, they will more than likely give him 15-plus carries each game. He could blow up against an inconsistent Detroit defense that is on the road, but I'm confident in projecting 18.

2.Ryan Mathews vs. Min

Projected 7, RT Projection: 14

Matthews has all of the intangibles of a star running back in the NFL that gave him such hype last year as the second coming of LaDainian Tomlinson, who coincidentally is on this list as well. After a disappointing rookie season that lead to Mike Tolbert getting the lion share of the carries, I expect Matthews to be more of the feature back this season with his ability to catch passes out of the backfield. If the Chargers give him at least 20 touches on the ground and through the air combined, he will easily match if not surpass my 14 point projection, and with Darren Sproles darting off to New Orleans, I can foresee that as a likely possibility. If he's on your bench, start him as your flex play.

3.Brandon Jacobs @ Was

Projected 4, RT Projection 13

I love Ahmad Bradshaw, BUT I also love Brandon Jacobs against a very weak Redskins team in week 1. Sure the Redskins had a moderately good defense last year, and Big Blue's offense this preseason has been shaky, but the Giants are a much better team than the Skins. Period. I expect Bradshaw to have more touches, but I also expect Jacobs as a bruiser to have more goal-line carries and at least 10 for the game. He will get a TD in this match-up, so if it's between Jacobs and that iffy wide receiver as your flex, start Jacobs, he won't disappoint.

4.LaDainian Tomlinson vs. Dal

Projected 5, RT Projection 10

Yeah Yeah, I'm a Jets fan, but I also know that LT, when fresh, put up numbers (he averaged 14.12) through the first six weeks of last season. I also do not believe the Shonn Greene post-hype, hype. When Greene falters, and even if he doesn't, expect LT to get a minimum of 10 carries (he had 0 below 10 last season). He may not be the goal line stud he once was, or put up spectacular numbers, but he's got the best opportunity to put up sturdy fantasy points this week. Last time I checked he was on the Jets, they've ran the ball the most out of any other team under Rex Ryan the past three seasons.

5.Mark Ingram @ GB

Projected 3, RT Projection 8

Usually when I make my selections in my fantasy drafts, I always jump and select rookie RB's thinking that they will perform right away. But with Ingram, he's in an advantageous fantasy situation. If your going, "But what about Pierre Thomas, and Darren Sprolles?" relax, for God's sake. The Saints have not taken a running back in the first round since Reggie Bush in 2006, when Sean Peyton was not the coach. Since Peyton is now the coach and at the helm of personnel decisions, I trust his judgement of Ingram, the best running back in college the last two years. There is a lot of doubt surrounding where Ingram will get carries, I expect a 10 a game average over the course of the season. I also project one TD against a tough Packers defense in week 1. I like, but don't love Ingram this week, but again if he's your flex, he's more likely to score than your third receiver.

1 comment:

  1. Is there a link somewhere that I'm missing? In general your posts should link to a story/video/podcast. Where are the non RT projections coming from? You need to give credit. See my comments on your previous post, "What's Love Got to Do With It?" (which is a great title, by the way!). That's a better example of what we're going for in this class. This post is long and only of interest to fantasy players. Remember your audience includes the whole class.

    ReplyDelete